Thursday 1 March 2012

A must read: fab book on how to raise a happy child

This is the 3rd time I'm writing about something recommended by a specific YM friend who is an amazing mother, wife, friend and fashionista. She told me about this book while I was still pregnant and I devoured it and live by it. I hope I can continue to live by it all the way through the Princess' life.
It covers parenting styles and how to bring up a happy, smart and well balanced child. Examples of some good nuggets: praise effort not IQ (ie: "you tried so hard, I'm so proud of how hard you worked" vs. "you are so smart, of course you nailed it"); finding your place on the parenting scale of demandingness and responsiveness - and understanding the consequences (ie: being an authoritative/ authoritarian/ indulgent/ neglectful parent); and there's a great chapter on what having a baby does to your relationship with your partner (eek!).

1 comment:

  1. Glad to be referenced so often on your wonderful blog Phe! Also thrilled you liked the book xx

    ReplyDelete