Saturday 17 March 2012

Ghetto Fabulous - Fruit & Veg


We all want out baybays to eat the best they can (insert precocious quote about them being fresh slates for an organic, vegan life here), and per my previous post I cook everything for the Princess myself. I shop Waitrose and Ocado, and frankly if I bought all the fruit and veg the Princess consumes from there, well frankly I'd be out of pocket a mani pedi combo a week. We're blessed to have a great local market nearby (West Londoners - Shepherds Bush Market - check it out. Truly ghetto, limited fabulous) - and most places I've lived in Sydney, New York and London have something similar. Even when we were in Chelsea/ Earls Court - North End Road is only moments away!
Get yourself down to the market with the buggy/ pram/ stroller once a week. Get a latte on the way. It's a great walk and bit of exercise for you and the bub, the produce is way cheaper and also they only sell what is in season (none of this ripen at home rubbish - basically frozen/ unripe stuff picked half a world away), and frankly I find the quality better. Take your own bags to save the environment too.
Take a look at what I bought for £8-something this week at my local market, and yes, they are plums not tomatoes. You'd pay 2 to 3 times as much at a supermaket for that! The money saved enables you to buy organic meats for your little one (and sneak in a mani from the grocery budget too!!).
K, getting off my ghetto soap box now. x

6 comments:

  1. I love your ghetto fabulous tips!! Can't belive you got all that for £8, will be checking out the local markets for sure!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to ask also, do you have a twitter account for the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mrs Jones. North End Road is a great one. I don't have a Twitter account (or Tumblr which I'm told is great for this type of blogging) - as it's all been very experimental so far. I think I might give it a go though. Will let you know! Kisses xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes let me know if you join, I found twitter a bit scary at first but really useful. Also joined Tumblr but haven't got the hang of that yet and don't even get me started on Pinterest.....
    we must get together for a coffee with the other Mrs B to discuss ;)
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fabulous, Iam envious of this kind of day as I live in the middle of no where so I have to drive just so I can go for a walk or get a latte, let alone visit a market lol! Your blog is great you would definitely benefit from having a twitter account! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Karen - I've been away for a few weeks so reading your comment was a nice surprise when I got home yesterday. Think I'll give Twitter a go! x

    ReplyDelete